Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Gem Identification Made Easy is the first and only book that explains in non-technical terms how to identify diamonds and colored gems, and how to separate natural gems from imitations, treated stones, synthetics, and look-alikes. The book's approach is direct and practical, and its style easy to understand. In fact, with this highly accessible guide, anyone can begin to master gem identification. Includes over 150 photographs and illustrationsover 80 in full color!
Using a simple, step-by-step system, the authors explain how to properly use essential but uncomplicated instruments to identify stones, what to look for gemstone by gemstone, and how to set up a basic lab at modest cost. Three of the instruments are inexpensive, portable, pocket instruments that, when used together, can identify almost 85% of all precious and popular stones.
The key to avoiding costly mistakes and recognizing profitable opportunities is knowing both what to look for and what to look out for.
Gem Identification Made Easy will help you:
- Open your eyes to the types of treatments, imitations, synthetics, look-alikes, and fakes in the gem market today.
- Learn how to tell the difference between them. Quickly spot:
- Synthetics, including synthetic emeralds and diamonds
- Filled diamonds
- Diffused blue sapphires and red rubies
- HPHT-treated diamonds
- ... and much more!
- Determine how to spot the newest composite imitations.
- Learn how to identify recently discovered gems such as Mandarin garnet, red emerald, and North Carolina's chromium-rich emeralds.
- Discover new treatments such as surface coatings to create fancy color diamonds and improve or change the color of many gemstones.
- Know when to seek help from a professional gemologist or lab.
- Become more professional in your business or hobby.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION