Attention: For textbook, access codes and supplements are not guaranteed with used items.
Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders provides evidence-based data and experience-based guidance for delivering quality long-term care to MS patients. Information on disease history, pathophysiology, and biology is included to provide clinicians with a framework for understanding current diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment strategies for these disorders. In addition to thoroughly reviewing the newest disease-modifying treatments, the authors have devoted significant focus to the symptoms that frequently manifest and their treatment options. Symptoms and functional limitations are the face of the disease for patients, and present their own set of challenges for practitioners.
The book proceeds through diagnosis (initial symptoms, criteria and classification, imaging, lab tests, and differential diagnosis), approved treatments for the various MS types including emerging therapies where appropriate, symptom management, rehabilitative issues, general health and wellness, and an overview of MS clinical trials. Special populations, societal and family issues, and related disorders that are often mistaken for MS are also covered. Dedicated chapters on neuromyelitis optica and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis incorporate newer diagnostic criteria. Because comorbidities often make the management of MS-related disability more complex, the book addresses these comorbidities as part of a comprehensive management plan.
To enhance the clinical utility, critical-to-know information and management pearls are boxed for quick reference and most chapters include lists of Key Points for clinicians, and for patients and families. Illustrations, tables, graphs, assessment scales, and up-to-date MRI imaging inform the text throughout. The treatment chapters include specific recommendations where available and highlight areas of controversy. Illustrative cases go beyond the literature to amplify clinical recommendations and provide real-world guidance for practitioners. Illustrations, tables, graphs, assessment scales, and up-to-date MRI imaging inform the text throughout.
Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders features:
- Comprehensive clinical reference for all members of the MS care team
- Focus on practical approaches to diagnosis, treatment, counseling, and rehabilitative strategies
- Reviews the latest disease modifying therapies
- Extensive chapters on symptom management and womens issues in MS
- Edited and written primarily by expert clinicians at Cleveland Clinic/Mellen Center
- Evidence- and experience-based guidance
- Dedicated chapters on neuromyelitis optica and acute disseminated encephalomyelitis incorporating newer diagnostic criteria
- Includes treatment guidelines and numerous illustrations, tables, scales key information is highlighted for quick reference
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION